Safeguarding children and young people

Child safeguarding refers to a set of policies, procedures and practices employed to make an organisation safe for all children they work with.

The day to day responsibility for providing statutory social work services is held by local authorities in the UK and our contracted social work services for overseas commands.

Safeguarding in the UK

If you have concerns about a child in the UK, contact your local authority children’s services.

Online safeguarding

If you have online safeguarding concerns visit the Child Exploitation and Online Protection website >


If you have concerns about a child in an overseas location, contact the contracted Social Work provider British Forces Social Work Services (BFSWS) on +44 (0) 808 168 3111.

If you are concerned that someone is in immediate danger, contact the police. Where you suspect a crime has been/is being committed, you must also report this to the police.

The MOD Safeguarding Policy Team (SPT) lead on policy areas relating to the protection of children and adults with care and support needs and enables the work of the MOD Safeguarding Partnership Board. The SPT can be contacted on: Email: [email protected]