Civilian housing options

There are a number of housing schemes available to the Service and ex-Service community – including the Ministry of Defence Nominations scheme, Low Cost Home Ownership and the Key Worker Living Programme.

Where to find out about your civilian housing options

If you are thinking of buying your own home or you are just about to leave the RAF and want to know what housing options are open to you Defence Transition Services (DTS) is a great resource.

Defence transition Services

DTS is a tri-service organisation that can provide you with a wide range of information about the civilian housing opportunities available to you and offer regular briefings which we would recommend.

Visit the DTS Civilian Housing pages ( >

Contact the DTS Team at anytime in your career: [email protected] 

Housing Briefings

DTS deliver online civilian housing briefings designed to provide information to help you make informed choices on your civilian housing options.

Latest housing brief dates (>

Affordable Housing Options

  • Government affordable housing initiatives

    Service Personnel and Service leavers (within 12 months of discharge) have priority status for government affordable housing initiatives. Schemes include Forces Help to Buy, shared ownership, shared equity loans and the mortgage guarantee scheme.

    Information on the current government housing schemes ( here>

  • Forces Help to Buy (FHTB)

    FHTB could potentially reduce your the timeline to home ownership, by providing you with a larger deposit for a property and, potentially, open up better mortgage deals.

    Forces Help to Buy scheme information >

  • Buy former SFA properties

    Annington Homes owns the Service Family Accommodation properties. Their aim is to accelerate the refurbishment, re-development, rental or sale of affordable ex-MOD homes to families who need them. Their portfolio is worth a look!

  • The MOD Referral Scheme (Service leavers)

    This scheme may be able to offer help if you are looking for Affordable Housing to rent on leaving the Service. It has links with Local Authorities and Housing Associations within the UK, who have available housing they wish to be specifically allocated to Service Personnel.

    Application information ( >

  • Priority housing (injury illness and disabled)

    Ministerial guidance has been issued to local authorities on housing allocations for members of the Armed Forces. It demonstrates commitments to the seriously injured and disabled personnel and the removal of the exemption regarding Local Connection which has to date prevented some leaving the Service from setting in their area of choice.

    Guidance to local authorities on the allocation of housing to members of the Armed Forces >


    The Op FORTITUDE team works with individual veterans at risk of or experiencing homelessness, supporting them either into suitable accommodation, or to maintain their current home.

    More information > 
    Make a referral >