Once you have been allocated Service Family Accommodation (SFA) you need to make arrangements for moving in, including setting your Move-In appointment (via the e-1132 system on DefNet) – information on this can be found in the Moving in section of the Pinnacle website.

Moving In

On moving day there will be a lot to think about – getting in, getting settled, taking meter readings, etc. It is important to remember through the process it is your responsibility to register any dissatisfaction with the condition of the SFA. You have two opportunities to do this:

  • Moving In appointment When you move in to your SFA you will be met by a Housing Officer at the property – they will give you a tour, take you through the relevant paperwork and hand over the keys. If you are satisfied the property meets Move-In standards you will sign an Occupancy Form – this is a legal document. If you have any concerns about the standards of the property ensure the form is annotated to reflect this. You will have a second opportunity at the 14 day appointment to detail any additional observations.
  • 14 day welcome visit At the move in appointment you will schedule a 14 day welcome visit. This is a second opportunity for you to highlight any concerns with the property. The Housing Officer will record anything identified on an Observation Form. Note: If you find an issue that needs repair in the first 14 days a repair request can be raised as normal. Any issues that do not require repair can be recorded at the 14 day appointment, such as carpet stains.

Local area information

If you are new to the area and you require local information we suggest you use the following resources:

  • RAF Hive – The local RAF HIVE is an excellent source of information about the area that you are moving to and they will be able to provide you with a copy of the Station handbook. Find your nearest HIVE >
  • The New Unit – You can also find out more about the unit you are moving to on the RAF Website>

Appropriate insurances

Have you got Licence to Occupy Insurance?

As the Licensee for the SFA, you are required to have sufficient Licence to Occupy Insurance – this covers the cost of repairs if the SFA is damaged by action attributable to you.

Licence to Occupy FAQs

The cost of rebuilding an SFA could be in the order of hundreds of thousands of pounds for which your policy would only be expected to cover the first £20,000.00, unless the damage was maliciously or deliberately caused – criminal damage.

It is accepted that any insurance to do with properties can be an additional outgoing however the Licence to Occupy insurance is one that you should not ignore – for your peace of mind.

Standard home liability insurance does not cover SFA. The Ministry of Defence recommends (JSP 464, Volume 1, Part 1, Section I, Paragraph 0605) that you take out a specialist type of insurance that covers your liability, up to £20,000, for any damage you or your family may do to your SFA. This is called ‘Licence to Occupy’ insurance.

The Services Insurance and Investment Advisory Panel (SIIAP) provides details of insurance providers who can ensure that you have the necessary ‘Licence to Occupy’ cover.

When you signed your Property Acceptance Certificate you acknowledged your agreement to your Licence to Occupy the property – this lays down the terms and conditions of occupancy.

Your Content Goes Here

Whilst there are hundreds of home (contents) and property (buildings) insurers, few offer ‘Licence to Occupy Insurance’. However, there is an approved list of those providing this insurance on the Services Insurance Investments and Advisory Panel (SIIAP) website.

Once you have made contact with an insurance provider you must ensure and confirm that they cover the terms and conditions of the DIO Licence to Occupy Insurance.

Contents Insurance is separate to Licence to Occupy Insurance. It is strongly advisable to ensure that your household contents and personal belongings are also insured.

It is possible that some insurance providers will provide a combined package, so you must ask.

Further information and the DIO policy can be found in the JSP 464 at paragraph 0605.

What is expected of you when living in SFA?

You can find all the information you might need about the maintenance of your SFA in the UK Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) pages.

  • Report faults

    To report a fault with your SFA you need to contact Pinnacle via the Home Hub (when launched), by phone on 0800 0318628 or via email [email protected].

    For information on what details to have ready when you contact Pinnacle and on how repairs are prioritised please see the Repairs page on their website.

  • Take measures to prevent damp, condensation and mould

    Condensation is among the top reasons for damp and mould appearance in the home, especially in cold weather. Mould and mildew are fungi that thrive in moist environment. Mould can damage your home and cause serious health issues: respiratory problems, eye, nose and throat irritation, headaches and sinus congestion. Download the comprehensive guide.

  • Allow compulsory safety checks

    These are vital to the safety of your home and you are expected to allow access so they can be carried out. These compulsory safety inspections are carried out for:

    • Annual gas safety inspections
    • Annual oil fired boiler inspection
    • Electrical safety inspections

    You will receive notice of these appointments three months in advance with reminders at one month, two weeks and 14 hours before. If you are unable to make the appointment you can change it via the Home Hub (when launched) or via the Compliance team on 0800 031 8628 (option 3).