Thursday 7th December 2023

Changes to the MOD Referral Scheme and what that means for Service leavers looking to access social housing.

Last year, the services provided by the Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO) were transferred to the Defence Transition Service (DTS), part of Defence Business Services (DBS), to deliver. This followed a review as part of the MOD’s ‘Strategy for Our Veterans’ to bring efficiency to the co-ordination and delivery of housing services.

Changes to the MOD Referral Scheme

The MOD referral Scheme, which  provides advice and guidance on accessing social housing, has been merged with existing support already available to Service leavers from Defence Transition Services/Veterans Welfare Service. Referrals and self referrals for support with housing can be made using a DTRP 1 (someone for within defence) or a DTRP 2 (self referral or referral from outside defence).

What is DTS?

The Defence Transition Services (DTS) team is the MOD’s tri-service focal point to provide service personnel and their dependants with civilian housing information for those wishing to move to civilian accommodation at any time in their career, and for those leaving service who require extra support with the transition to civilian life.

DTS, together with colleagues in the Veterans Welfare Service (VWS) can provide advice and guidance to help individuals make informed choices on their civilian housing options as they transition out of the forces. For further information please visit: Information and guidance on civilian housing (

Back to news Subscribe to eBulletin