Image of a serving couple drinking coffee in a kitchen

Monday 8th April 2019

A new policy has been introduced to allow couples in long-term relationships, including same sex couples, to live together in surplus Service Family Accommodation (SFA), where it is available. Previously only married couples, those in civil partnerships, and those with legally dependent children could live in SFA.


  • Service personnel (Regulars and FTRS) with more than four years’ service
  • Have been in a relationship for more than one year (365 days)
  • Has residential responsibility for a child

The infographic below shows the process (click to download):

Image shows an infographic of how service personnel can apply for SFA when in a long term relationship (LTR).

Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said:

“It’s hugely important that the armed forces keep pace with modern society, creating a more attractive option to live, work and bring up a family.

“By making our policies fairer and more flexible, we will help retain our diverse and talented workforce and give them greater freedom as they carry out their service.”

Minister for Defence People and Veterans Tobias Ellwood said:

“Personnel have told us that they want more flexible working arrangements and so I’m delighted these measures are now in place.

This new package of modern measures will help us retain personnel who want a more flexible approach to how they live, work and serve.

Further information

The RAF FF has two military accommodation experts within its team and if you have any queries regarding this new process you can contact them through an online form or by telephoning the team on 01780 781650.

Back to news Subscribe to eBulletin